| BC's Lincoln Hall first in KY to receive LEED Certification
Lincoln Hall, Berea College’s administration building recently became the first building in Kentucky to be awarded the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
The designation recognizes high performance and sustainable buildings and was created to promote integrated, whole-building design practices, and raise consumer awareness of green building practices. To date, there are only 151 LEED certified buildings in the United States.
Certification at one of three levels – Silver, Gold or Platinum – is awarded based on a point system which evaluates projects on more than 70 stringent criteria that fall under the general categories of sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality and innovation and design process. Lincoln Hall received certification at the Silver level.
Built in 1885-87, Lincoln Hall is the second oldest permanent structure on Berea’s campus and has been Berea’s administration building since 1914. Lincoln Hall was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1975 for its significance in the history of the U.S. civil rights movement.
Lincoln Hall underwent an 18-month, $5.5 million “green” renovation as a result of a collapse of its central interior in May 2001 and reopened in the fall of 2003.
The renovation’s designer was Richard Polk of EOP Architects, Lexington (Ekhoff, Ochenkoski and Polk), and principle construction contractor was Messer and Sons Construction, also of Lexington.
While the building’s exterior remains virtually unchanged, the interior of Lincoln Hall incorporates elements from its past with features consistent with the needs of a modern work place as well as Berea’s commitment to sustainability. A three-story central atrium not only opens up the interior and makes a dramatic architectural statement, this feature is brings daylight into the heart of the building and through an increased use of glass in interior walls, insures outdoor views to almost every occupied space in the building.
Other “green building” techniques and features incorporated into Lincoln Hall’s renovation include:
- Reuse of 75% of the building’s structure and shell in the renovation, including flooring and woodwork;
- Diversion of more than 50% of construction and demolition debris from landfill disposal to recycled or salvaged materials;
- An expected 35% reduction in energy costs achieved through automatic mechanical system shutdown allowing occupants to bring “comfortable” outside temperature and humidity conditions inside by opening windows;
- An interior lighting system that uses sensors that automatically turn lights on when the room is occupied and off when unoccupied;
- Materials used included recycled content whenever possible in such items as carpet, acoustic ceiling panels and artificial slate roof tiles ;
- Carbon dioxide sensors that mechanically control the introduction of outside air into the room for occupant comfort and well-being;
- Reduction of indoor air contaminants through the use of low VOC paints and carpets
- Use of high efficiency fluorescent lighting fixtures
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems designed to use no CFC refrigerants, or other materials to reduce ozone depletion
- use of water use reduction devices such as dual-flush control toilets that will allow a 30% reduction in potable water consumption by occupant.
- Use of indigenous, drought tolerant landscaping to reduce the need for watering
In addition to the President’s office, the newly renovated building houses Finance and Business Administration offices, offices of the Provost, Associate Provosts, Dean and Associate Dean of the Faculty and the office of Institutional Research. Most of the first floor is occupied by the new Student Services Center, providing “one-stop shopping” for students that consolidates Academic Services, Student Financial Aid and Student Accounts