The Aims of General Education
The General Education Program will help students understand:
- aesthetic, scientific, historical, and interdisciplinary ways of knowing;
- religion, particularly Christianity, in its many expressions;
- Berea College’s historical and ongoing commitments to racial (traditionally black and white) and gender equality, as well as to the Appalachian region;
- the natural environment and our relationship to it;
- the roles of science and technology in the contemporary world;
- U.S. and global issues and perspectives.
The General Education Program will help students develop the abilities to:
- read and listen effectively; write and speak effectively, with integrity and style;
- think critically and creatively, and reason quantitatively;
- develop research strategies and employ appropriate technologies as means to deepen one’s knowledge and understanding;
- work effectively both independently and collaboratively;
- resolve conflicts nonviolently.
Habits of Mind
The General Education Program will help students:
- deepen their capacities for moral reflection, spiritual development, and responsible action;
- develop an openness to and knowledgeable appreciation of human diversity, in terms of race, gender, class, religion, sexuality, language, and culture;
- cultivate their imagination and ability to discern connections, consider alternatives, and think about topics and issues from multiple perspectives;
- think and act in ways that promote peace with justice;
- develop habits leading to lifetime health and fitness.
The General Education Program will help students become independent learners through:
- Discussion and lecture;
- Student-initiated learning;
- Experiential learning (for example, service learning, travel, internships, etc.);
- Collaborative learning.
Notice and Disclaimer
This online publication is the official text of the Berea College Catalog & Student Handbook. Berea College reserves the right to amend, revise, or modify content within this publication at any time.Posted: 8-14-2012
Updated by Wanda Burch