Only courses and earned credits completed with a grade of C or higher at a regionally accredited institution within 10 years of initial enrollment at Berea are transferable to Berea College. The amount of credit granted by the original institution will be honored by Berea and transposed into comparable course credits or fractions of course credits. If not accepted to meet a specific requirement, such credit can be accepted as an elective credit. One course credit at Berea represents four semester hours or six quarter hours elsewhere. No credit is granted for developmental courses or other courses not at the college level, as defined by that institution (typically courses numbered below 100, such as 090 or 36B).
Credit for a course in which a P, S, or credit grade has been earned will be granted only upon verification from the institution that work in the course was completed at a C level or above.
A student currently enrolled at Berea who wishes to transfer credit earned at another regionally accredited institution must have approval in advance from both the Academic Records Assistant (in the Student Service Center), the Academic Advisor, and the Program Coordinator for the program in which the course would be offered at Berea. In addition to the transfer-credit policies stated above, the following policies apply to courses taken elsewhere:
- Eight (8) of the last eleven (11) courses required for completion of the degree must be earned in residence at Berea College. Exceptions can be approved by the Student Admission and Academic Standing Committee.
- Credit is transferred only on the basis of an official transcript mailed directly to: Student Service Center, CPO 2168, Berea College, Berea, KY 40404. It is the student's responsibility to request this document from the registrar where the work was taken.
- Only credit is transferred to Berea; not grades or quality points. Transfer credit is not used in computing the GPA at Berea College and higher grades will not replace lower grades on the Berea transcript.
- Credit cannot be given for any course that is the equivalent of a course previously completed at Berea College.
- Any course in which a grade of 'F' has been earned at Berea can only be repeated at Berea.
Except through the Berea College Advanced Standing Examination Program, college- or university-level academic credit will NOT be evaluated for the possibility of transfer credit unless the applicant indicates the name and dates of attendance for any other college or university on the application for admission.
For information on how Berea course credits equal semester or quarter hours, please see the “Academic Calendar” in the Academic Program section of this publication.
Notice and Disclaimer
This online publication is the official text of the Berea College Catalog & Student Handbook. Berea College reserves the right to amend, revise, or modify content within this publication at any time.Posted: 12-5-2011
Updated by Wanda Burch